Sunday, October 12, 2014

Dawn of a New Day

Hi Warriors....sorry that it has taken me a couple days to get back here and is the latest....Joyce received her new lungs and the surgery went really well.  The only hang-up at all was that do to the B.O. Joyce had a lot of scaring on her lungs that caused a lot of adhesions on her chest was just a little harder for the surgeon to remove Joyce's lungs......caused a little more bleeding so they just had to infuse during surgery and have given her a few units since.  Joyce then arrived to her room around 345am Saturday morning and we were able to go see her for a few soon as we walked in the room, the 1st thing that was noticed is how 'pink' and healthy Joyce looked.....her beautiful bod was finally getting the oxygen that it has so badly wanted and been depleted of for so long now.  Joyce then was weened from her vent, around 9am Saturday morning and was then turned off and Joyce was already using her brand new lungs all on her own.  The team here decided that keeping the breathing tube in place was the best route to take because of the fact that Joyce is a very hard intubation and they did not want to have to re-intubate if it was needed....they would rather just use the one that is already in place if needed.  After a few hours of being off the vent, Joyce was put back on to a so that her body could rest and heal more (as most of you know....if Joyce is awake, she is doing something/worrying about something and this is not what the docs wanted yesterday).  Joyce was, at that point, having too much chest tube output and they wanted that to settle down.  After being back on the vent all afternoon Saturday, and after many tests were taken and results read, it was decided that Joyce would be left in a full vent overnight Saturday to Sunday so that she could continue resting and be reassessed in a.m.  At this point Joyce did request to be as sedated again as possible throughout the night as she was becoming more and more anxious and uncomfortable the longer that the breathing tube had been in place.  It is now about 5;20 and the doctors are going to remove her from the vent again, come assess at 7 and if all looks well, get this breathing tube out once and for all!!  Keep up the prayers friends, and I will work my hardest to get back here soon to update you all!  Have a blessed day!  ~Mehgan~

No comments:

Post a Comment